Eric J. Roode on 9 Feb 2005 14:09:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Keysigning: The Aftermath

Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

I do it by hand, via command-line gpg. I don't think there is any way to
automate it outside of an expect script. But my basic process is:

Okay, I can see that. In theory, that could be automated. Cool.

But then... Do you leave the signatures on your local (personal) keyring?
Or leave them unsigned locally?

Seems to me there are the following possibilities, after you mail out the
individually-signed keys to the various email addresses:

1. Leave all the uids signed on your personal keyring.
But: if you accidentally distribute that key, you've vouched for
possibly-forged addresses.

2. Leave all the uids *locally* signed on your personal keyring.
But: you can't distribute the key (to your friends, to a keyserver).
This is possibly not a bad thing.

3. Leave all the uids signed locally until you happen to receive an
email from the person, at which point you sign-for-export the uid from
that email.
But: you have to remember to do that.  And you have to remember to check
that the From: wasn't forged.

I'm just musing here....  I'd like to see a Better Way of verifying
email addresses than the challenge-response (which is effective, but
clumsy imho).  Anyone else have any insights?

Eric
$_ = reverse sort $ / . r , qw p ekca lre uJ reh
ts p , map $ _ . $ " , qw e p h tona e and print