Art Clemons on 14 Feb 2005 05:30:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] kernel 2.6 and cdrecord

Jeff Abrahamson:
Any suggestions?  I haven't found much relevant on google except that
others have similar problems...

First, if you're using Lilo, remove append="hdX=ide-scsi" from your lilo.conf file and run the lilo command. Reboot!

If you're using Grub, remove the equivalent from menu.lst and then reset grub. Reboot!

The 2.6.X kernels don't use scsi emulation for ide drives, and it causes a conflict. I usually use cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc whatever.iso or the equivalent. Cdrecord claims not to support calling a device by name but it works for me here. This was relatively well known when 2.6.X kernels came out, guess Google got overwhelmed. Still, it's no real biggie.