Stephen Gran on 14 Feb 2005 18:27:09 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Error in installing spamassasiin, debian testing

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 01:20:43PM -0500, Mike Leone said:
> Stephen Gran (steve@lobefin.net) had this to say on 02/14/05 at 13:16:
> > On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 01:10:05PM -0500, Mike Leone said:
> > > So I'm thinking that this file is corrupt. Can I just delete it; re-run
> > > "aptitude update" (I prefer aptitude to apt-get); let it rebuild the file;
> > > and then I can go on and install my sa update? I can't run a dpkg -l, or
> > > anything.
> >
> > It is corrupted.
> >
> > cp /var/lib/dpkg/available-old /var/lib/dpkg/available should fix it.  I
> > guess double check the -old first, but the idea is to give you a back
> > up.  Re run an update to refresh and you should be in business.
>
> Almost. I did copy the -old over the current one, and re-ran an update. Now
> it says ...
>
> root@handyman:/var/lib/dpkg# dpkg -l spamassassin
> dpkg-query: parse error, in file /var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 227113
> package oshell':
>  epends' field, syntax error after reference to package ibs'
>
> What next?

Are you out of disk space, or experiencing hardwarer errors on that
machine or something?  I can't imagine why you would get two corrupted
available files in a row.  You can of course manually edit the file, and
remove the entire entry that is fubar, but something is causing the
recurrent corruption, and it might be best to track that down first.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Many a man that can't direct you to a   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | corner drugstore will get a respectful  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | hearing when age has further impaired   |
|  			         | his mind.   -- Finley Peter Dunne       |