sean finney on 17 Feb 2005 16:39:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian apt.sources question

hi edward,

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 11:31:12AM -0500, Edward Pike wrote:
> I installed the "testing" release and want to
> change it to the "unstable" release.  I understand
> I have to put some sources in /etc/apt/sources.list;
> which ones?

just make a copy of everything that says "testing", and
change "testing" to "unstable".  you can have both lines
at the same time.

> Can somebody point me a good read
> on apt.sources, much appreciated thanks.  I suspect
> i can just change the "testing" below to "Unstable"
> but i'd like to do it the right way.

well, there's always the fine manpage of sources.list(5).  for
advanced uses, there's also apt_preferences(5).  there's also
copious amounts of online documentation off of debian's web
site (www.debian.org/doc).

> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main

should do the trick.  you may also want to look for a closer
mirror (udell has one, there may be others).

	sean