Stephen Gran on 21 Feb 2005 19:08:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] bind9 not allowing WinXp clients to update DDNS

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 12:18:13PM -0500, Mike Leone said:
> OK; I've added this. Last night, I saw a message that bind could not
> update a journal file, because it couldn't create it. So I manually
> created a "mike-leone.com.jnl" file, owner bind.
>
> I guess what I really need is to make the /etc/bind directory writable
> by the user bind. How best to do that?

named writes the journal files to /var/cache/bind, at least here.  This
is set in /etc/bind/named.conf.options with the directory directive, so
your setup may be different.  Whatever directory it is, make sure it is
writable by user named (that is the default user for bind9 in Debian,
AFAIR).

You do not need to create the journal files - in fact the syntax will
likely fail if you do.  Just make sure directory permissions are
working, and let it do it's thing.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | "Take that, you hostile sons-of-        |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | bitches!" -- James Coburn, in the       |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | finale of _The_President's_Analyst_     |