Stephen Gran on 21 Feb 2005 22:01:42 -0000

Re: [PLUG] xine kills sound

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 03:52:21PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 03:43:03PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> >   [16 lines, 101 words, 586 characters]  Top characters: eotnris\n
> >
> > Sound works (ogg123, mpg123).  I run xine, xine's volume is set to
> > zero so I turn it up, it works.  But now mpg123 and ogg123 run silent,
> > no errors reported, just silent.  Xine still comes up with sound
> > volume set to zero, in gxine it's set to muted, but both work if I
> > turn up the volume in the (g)xine control.
>
> Wow, that was strange.  I happened upon a gnome sound control panel
> that is a mixer-like thing.  Something called PCM was set to zero.
> Turning up enabled mpg|ogg123 sound again.  Video sound was set to
> zero, turning that up made xine come up with non-zero volume.
>
> Now they all work again.  But how odd!

Some applications (xmms is one, xine may be another) attempt to
manipulate the mixer levels for sound directly when you think you are
just adjusting the application volume.  I know xmms has a way to turn
off this 'feature', not sure about xine.
|  Stephen Gran                  | BOFH excuse #3:  electromagnetic        |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | radiation from satellite debris         |