Art Alexion on 25 Feb 2005 13:50:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OSX "middleware"?

Mark M. Hoffman wrote:

Hi:

On 24 Feb, 2005, at 09:26, Art Alexion wrote:

Carlos Konstanski wrote:

Yes, gtkpod will get tunes on and off your iPod.  I will get that HFS
patch soon.  And you can always format the iPod as FAT32 if you wish,
which will circumvent all filesystem issues.  This is what Windows
(pardon my French) does to iPods.

Why does Apple's flagship product use a microsoft file system??

Small isn't always the last consideration though.  FAT can be a very
bad choice of filesystem for a compact-flash or EEPROM type device.
The problem is that the FAT filesystem writes certain parts of the
device more often than others, which can cause the device to wear out
prematurely.  There are F/OSS filesystems that support "wear leveling",
[1] so you may wonder why you never see a digital camera using those
instead... well, that would force the Windows users to install a new
filesystem driver.

I.e. (again) a worse choice wins based on market-share.

Now that makes sense, FAT being used for compatibility with ubiquitous windows users, but how big a deal would it be for the iPod software CD to include a windows driver for a different FS?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but these sorts of marketing decisions that override engineering considerations fascinate me.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c