gyoza on 3 Mar 2005 19:00:54 -0000

[PLUG] Book Review, Open Source Security Tools

My first book review.  (Please review my review.)

"Open Source Security Tools: A Practical Guide to Security Applications"

http://phptr.com/title/0321194438

This book provides a good overview of security tools. It could help readers get started by explaining security concepts and stepping the reader through installation of useful tools. (The book includes a CD containing the utilities covered in the text.) It doesn't however, give good coverage to interpreting the results of scans and monitoring.

About 1/4 to 1/3 of the book is wasted on appendices of readily available information. GPL and BSD licenses, well-known port numbers, and a huge list of Nessus plug-ins. The space might have been better utilized by providing coverage of virus scanners or even common application alternatives that are more resistant to attack.

I like the fact that the book covers utilities for both Linux and Windows. And the fact that the utilities are free and Open Source, of course.

I learned a few new tricks from this book even though I was already familiar with many of the utilities and concepts.