John Karr on 11 Mar 2005 04:28:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Mounting an Active Directory Share on linuxRe: [PLUG] Mounting an Active Directory Share on linux

Kevin (kmr987@gmail.com) had this to say on 03/03/05 at 07:40:
> Some one was asking about how to mount an active directory share on
> linux last night at the meeting. Here is the command i use.
>
> mount -t smbfs -o username={ActiveDirectoryUserName},uid=ruse,gid=ruse
> //{ActiveDirectoryComputerName}/{ActiveDirectoryShareName} /mnt/gdrive
>
> Now to go the other direction, mounting samba shares to an active
> directory domain, that is the tricky part where you have have the
> linux machine join the domain and all the jazz.

I've never had a problem with Windows computers mounting Samba shares (other than getting the samba server successfully configured). I create user accounts with the same name and password in smbpasswd, passwd, and Active Directory. Ideally Active Directory would be setup as an LDAP provider in PAM but on a small network manual sync is easier. It is absolutely no problem and I have Samba shares with restricted access.

After the meeting I determined that if I followed Kevin's advice and ignored the whole mess with joining the domain I am able to mount directories off the Win2K3 Domain controller.

Now the next step. When I log onto a Linux machine I want my home directory from Windows mounted as my linux home directory. I want to enter my username and password one time and one time only, and I do not want to embed any passwords in login scripts or fstab files. Right now I am forced to keep 2 servers up, the file sharing Linux box (which I have tagged for recycling as a test machine that can get reformatted any time), and the Domain Controller which has my largest hard drive and where I want my data to live. Right now my setup is wasting electricity and one of my better test machines.

Bonus points go for being able to mount my data from windows to the root of my home directory but keep my linux profile on the local machine. A linux home directory is a jumble of hidden . (dot) directories that are the equivalent of a Windows Profile and actual data, in a Domain, Windows maintains the user's home directory and the user profile in seperate locations.