Stephen Gran on 1 Apr 2005 02:15:25 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Responsible Mass mailings

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 11:09:12AM -0500, Aaron Crosman said:
> The organization I work for is in the process of setting up a server to
> handle our mailing lists.  This is an Exim server, which right now only
> sends mail for mailman.  Soon there will be a combination of a couple
> different types of mass mailings including news letters sent from a
> database product we are deploying in a few offices.  I want to make sure
> this server is NOT a SPAM source, so I'm a looking for ideas (both
> policy and technical) to help make sure my users (i.e., organization
> staff) behave themselves.
>
> Clearly to start with, we'll require double opt-in for all lists, and a
> clear opt-out path on each message that's sent.  Since these aren't
> commercial emails (information about issues and events mostly) it's not
> clear to me that CAN-SPAM applies, but since the only other requirement
> that I can find is that physical address always be included that seems
> like a good thing to require as well.  I would like to know what other
> policy suggestions you all have that might help the system run more
> smoothly?
>
> In terms of ideas I'm considering designing a system that would prevent
> Exim from sending messages to a list of addresses that have requested
> not to be contacted by us.  Since there will be multiple systems using
> the server, not all of which will be in my control I'd like to find ways
> of handling complaints centrally when they are not effectively handled
> by my users. Essentially I'd like to create a reverse blacklist, that
> prevents messages to anyone on a given list. It seems to me that I
> should be able to setup a Exim router that looks up addresses in a MySQL
> table and drops them (or better yet bounces them so they get removed).
> Since I haven't done this before I thought I might look for suggestions
> before I start playing.  Any other technical ideas about ways of help
> users follow the policies provided would be much appreciated.

It depends on what exactly you want to do.  If the senders can handle
smtp error codes, writing an acl would be simple enough.  If not, then
you have to go to forced failure in a router, which is slightly harder,
but not impossible.  This also gets much simpler if you are not handling
any local mail, but again, it's all workable :)
|  Stephen Gran                  | panic: kernel segmentation violation.   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | core dumped  (only kidding)             |