Doug Crompton on 12 Apr 2005 05:27:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] PCHDTV

I guess you could read this both ways. I am not sure. I read it that the
current ones, since they are manufactured before the date do not comform.
Only those actually manufactured after that date, not sold after, must
conform. So if they build a stock pile before that they can be sold until
exhausted even if it is a year from now. I think they might be pointing
out that if you buy one now or one manufactured up until that date it will
not magically change functionality after that date.

I find it not worth the effort if the only thing I can record is broadcast
TV, HD or not. At most times PBS is the only thing worth watching. The
secondary channels probably always will have fill junk on them.

In my searches I saw talk of a firewire output on some new Comcast cable
boxes. This is used to both receive the digital MPEG stream and also to
control the cable box much the same way you control and download video
from a video camera. I am hoping this option becomes available on satelite
boxes. Using this method of recording you do not have to worry about
encryption. If you paid for it it comes out the port if you select the
channel. All the computer has to do is schedule and record the stream.

I am trying to get myself interested in this (MythTV) but the more I read
about it and it's current limitations, problems, and the hoops people go
through to get it kinda working, I figure it is not worth the effort. I
guess if I needed a play project but I have plenty of them. I want
(almost) plug and play and I want it to work like my Samsung 360 Direct TV
receiver - seamless mapping of NTSC/ATSC across Sat and terestrial
channels (also cable if you have it).

This is so much like the early days of TV. Remember when you would stare
at a test pattern or snowy image in amazement for hours. Then came UHF
with the crude set top boxes. HDTV although moving faster is still in it's
early stages. Except for prime time on network there really is not a lot
of content there. When everything is HD, widescreen, and we don't have
all the audio clicks and pops we will be there but I am afraid that is
awhile off yet. Somebody needs to tell these guys you can't switch digital
audio between sources with different levels.

Doug