Stephen Gran on 1 May 2005 03:51:17 -0000

[PLUG] Wireless router recommendations

Hey all,

I am planning to add a wireless segment to my home LAN, but I had a couple
of questions before doing so.  I am mostly interested in something with
decent range, but relatively 'dumb' otherwise.  WEP encryption and the
like would I suppose be nice, but I trust the wires about as much as I
trust the air, so nothing that's important goes in the clear as it is.

I am wondering if I can get a hold of a wireless router that does not
_have_ to do NAT and packet filtering and so forth - having the ability
to do so is great, but I would like to be able to be selective.  So far
everything I have seen is pretty much all of it on, and no mention of
whether it can be switched off.  I like the looks of the Linksys (is it
wrtg?) that has the possibility of running a stripped down linux on it -
that would at least let it be flexible :)  Any one have any experience
with this one?  Any others come to mind?

Thanks for any suggestions,
|  Stephen Gran                  | According to the latest official        |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | figures, 43% of all statistics are      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | totally worthless.                      |