Stephen Gran on 8 Jun 2005 00:11:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] max number of groups?

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 05:34:13PM -0400, Cosmin Nicolaescu said:
> Hello all,
>
> I recently ran into a very bizzare issue. We are talking about a linux
> server, which authenticates via NIS, automounts a directory via nfs.
>
> We have user A that is a member of several groups, one of which is the one
> that owns the automounted directory (let's call it /usr/dir).
>
> Changing the ownership of /usr/dir to A will give A access.
> Changing the groupship of /usr/dir to a group A is a member of AND is in
> the the group is among the first 15 of A's groups will give A access.
> Changing the groupship to /usr/dir to a group A is a member of AND is not
> in the first 15 of A's groups will not give A access to/ /usr/dir.
>
> I looked up google for the last 30 minutes and couldn't find any
> limitation to 15 groups or anything similar.
>
> Do any of you know of any such limitation, and if so, where is it
> (kernel,nis,nfs) ?

libc, I believe.  A short program that returns sizeof(gid_t) (I think
that's the right entry in the pw struct) will tell you on your system.

man 3 getpwent will tell you the details of the password struct that
defines things like group and password stuff.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Just because the message may never be   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | received does not mean it is not worth  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | sending.                                |