Kam Salisbury on 22 Jun 2005 17:02:12 -0000

[PLUG] BloggerAPI comcast.net

The folks at Comcast must be listening to the masses is some mysterious, corporate way. For reasons unrelated to this post, I recently shifted my web presence away from the "code my own" method and instead have gone down the Blogger.com path.

Blogger.com was origionally developed by <name> and is based on several web standards. In <year>, Blogger.com was assimilated by Google.

In the past year, comcast.net support for web hosted space for broadband customers went through an overhaul. Many new features were added and publicized on Comcast's internal site. On the back-end, ftp and web services were also upgraded. As a part of these upgrades, expanded compatibility with web standards was introduced.

While optional support for Microsoft Front Page extentions are now listed as a per user setting via the comcast.net user control web based interface, not shown or publicized is compatible support for the Blogger Application Programming Interface. Yes, I am using Blogger for my sites right now. No, I do not know if compatibility will change suddenly. I am a long term customer and have seen web services in stasis for years so lets assume that the current services will remain at the same level for a few years.

Why is this find news worthy? Because this level of compatibility is an indicator of increasing support for web standards as well as major corporate adoption of standards based services.

How is comcast.net's compatibility with the Blogger API linux related? Because I use linux and can now use Blogpost (A Gnome tool bar applet) or BloGTK (A gtk based blogger API client) as well as the Blogger.com web interface from my linux desktop to create web content. If I happen to be borrowing my spouse's laptop, a Windows XP Home machine, I can still post this article to my web log using the web interface or several other Blogger API supporting clients. In both cases I make use of web services I have already paid for through my monthly broadband Internet service. Also in both cases, I do not have to sacrifice web standards or cross platform compatibility.

Web content  the Blogger way may not be right for everyone's needs but expanded web service compatibility by a major ISP is benificial  to all. So no matter which desktop Operating System you use to create web content, go, create.

Kam Salisbury
http://salisburyfamily.us