John Von Essen on 23 Jun 2005 02:19:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Cool bandwidth tool...

Actually, after checking out bandwidthd I started looking into others. Bandwidthd has problems on FreeBSD - for some reason it uses 99% of the CPU even though it claims to use very little cpu.

After looking at a few others, I finally ended up with pmacct (http://www.ba.cnr.it/~paolo/pmacct/). Its just a raw engine for bpf and will log anything you want to a mysql or postgresql database. It can aggregate on src/dst ip's, src/dst ports, you can modify the sampling rate, do total transfer counters over specified timeframes, and so on. That is actually more up my ally. Now I can gather the raw numbers I want, and built my own interface on top of it (make a few custom graphs in Perl with GD::Graph).

-john