Stephen Gran on 1 Jul 2005 13:51:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] advice on kernel errors?

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 09:38:47AM -0400, Dan Goodman said:
> <apologies for not top-posting>
> Eric Hidle wrote:
>
> >The last time I saw seek complete errors on a drive, it failed completely
> >not long thereafter. That is but one datapoint though, so I am not sure how
> >helpful that is.
> >
> >Do you have smartd running? If your drive supports SMART, you can get a
> >plethora of information there that might help as well..
> >

> Mea culpa, new to these parts, I confess to only rapidly perusing the FAQ,
> have not RTFM. But can anybody comment on whether or not Linux supports bad
> block marking and relocation?

Take a look at the badblocks command.  It does this, although I believe
it is more of a helper for the disk, rather than the OS, if you see what
I mean.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Yeah, there are more important things   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | in life than money, but they won't go   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | out with you if you don't have any.     |