Dan Crosta on 1 Jul 2005 14:28:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] advice on kernel errors?

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

I've never been terribly clear on how to determine how an existing

kernel was compiled. All I've read on kernel options has been in that
vein, too.

I think you're telling me how to determine an option I might have used
when compiling my kernel.  But, in fact, I apt-got my kernel.

How do I determine if the above was set?

Oh. I've never used a stock kernel for longer than the installation process of any given distro, I guess I just assumed everyone else was the same way. First, see if they compiled kernel config support (zless /proc/config.gz if it's there)... if that fails, I'm sure you could find out somehow through the package maintainers, or more likely, through lists or something. Given that (I assume) you're using Debian, I'm sure it's all public record somewhere... just an issue of finding it. Someone more familiar with the distro might have a better idea.

dsc