Mark M. Hoffman on 1 Jul 2005 16:16:47 -0000

Re: [PLUG] advice on kernel errors?

Hi Jeff:

* Jeff Abrahamson <jeff@purple.com> [2005-07-01 06:57:13 -0400]:
> Tuesday morning I started getting errors that look like these in
> kern.log.  The disk hdb has one partition, /home/.  The volume is
> formatted ext3.
> (...)

Since no one else mentioned it... hdb implies that the disk is on
the same cable as hda.  I've seen that cause problems.  You should
be able to pick up a used Promise PCI/ATA 66 or 100 for $5.  They
work fine with Linux.

If you want to try this but can't find one, let me know.  There's
a shop near my house that probably has them; I could bring one to
the next PLUG meeting.

Regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman