George Gallen on 14 Jul 2005 13:26:08 -0000

RE: [PLUG] USB Storage Servers

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Kam Salisbury
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 6:25 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: RE: [PLUG] USB Storage Servers

-----Original Message-----

Ian, I tried out a unit from Tiger Direct and was not very satisfied with it. It did not run Linux and was not very flexible. I have a friend who has it now and says it is the greatest.

To satisfy my needs I went with a small format PC, a belkin USB 2.0 card and external enclosure for the USB harddisk (80GB). I have Ubuntu in server only mode on it - solid as a rock! Now I can do whatever I feel I need to (gnump3d, ddclient, etc.), still provide all the up to date Samba goodness the rest of my family needs AND use flexbackup for making sure the data is safe.

So... If you need a plug in and forget device, tgose consumer grade Network Attached Storage units are great. For flexibility though, I recommend go8ng down the build to suit path.

Kam Salisbury
http://salisburyfamily.us