Thomas A. Lowery on 15 Jul 2005 00:13:20 -0000

Re: [PLUG] USB Storage Servers

Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

Greetings,
I am looking at the Linksys NSLUG2 and the DLink DNS-120 for use as light storage servers. My big rub right now is they seem limited to two USB devices at a time. I know the NSLUG2 uses Linux, so in theory this is fixable, but before I waste my time hacking does anyone else know of USB storage servers that are sub $100.

My basic requirement is that I can attach USB drives to it, and the volumes on it appear as SAMBA shares. I don't really care beyond that, but having them run linux would be a plus. Also no iSCSI or stuff like that, I really want SAMBA so that I can access it from all the systems in my house at the same time.

I purchased a NSLUG2 in February because the machine that served as a Samba share for our house had a disk crash.
There are a number of hardware hacks and third party firmware available to enhance the device. So far I've
running stock.firmware.

I've two disk attached, disk 1 is the share, disk 2 is full backup, updated nightly.
If you use device backup feature disk 2 is not available as a share. Also, there is no information on recover if disk 1 fails.

So far I'm happy with the performance and reliability.

Tom