Christopher M. Jones on 21 Jul 2005 14:32:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Newbie level DHCP client question

255.255.255.255 is broadcast. You should also see a netmask something
like 255.255.255.0.

Not being able to ping points to a routing problem. Make sure that your
routing tables are correct: type 'route' at the command line and you
should get something like this:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth1
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth1

The default line tells you that all traffic is directed by default to
eth1 (eth0 in your case), through a gateway (your modem).

Christopher M. Jones <cjones@partialflow.com>