Jason on 21 Jul 2005 17:29:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] security for home users

On 7/21/05, Christopher M. Jones <cjones@partialflow.com> wrote:
> I recently set up a cable modem with a wireless router. I have two
> clients (Linux, OSX) connecting wirelessly, two (W2k Pro) wired. I'm
> concerned about security for the network generally, but I thought I'd
> start with my linux station. Can any of you recommend a good online
> security tutorial 'for dummies' to get me started?

First thing - you're going about it backwards.  Look at it this way,
which would you install a lock in first, the front door of your house,
or your filing cabinet?

Secure that wireless router!  In the following order:

1. Change the default password on your router!
2. Change that default wireless SSID (wireless network id)
3. Turn on at the very least WEP, and hopefully WPA or WPA2.
4. Possibly look at MAC address filtering on the wireless side

#4 isn't overly important if you're doing the other steps.