Stephen Gran on 25 Jul 2005 12:45:36 -0000

Re: [PLUG] debian and sound

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 11:43:23PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> I used to configure sound in Debian using snd-config.  Apt-cache says
> it's not there anymore.
>
> Knoppix boots and finds sound.  Is there an easy way to configure
> sound under Debian these days?
>
> I see that /proc/asound/ exists, but neither I nor google have found
> the right incantation to get ogg123 to see a usable device.

That means you have an alsa module loaded (snd-foo).  Try alsaconf if it
doesn't look right.  My first guess, though, if you have a /proc/asound
(with a reasonable modules and devices in it) and no sound, is that
you're not in group audio.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | We were happily married for eight       |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | months.  Unfortunately, we were married |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | for four and a half years.   -- Nick    |
|  			         | Faldo                                   |