Toby DiPasquale on 8 Aug 2005 11:17:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] motherboard recommendations

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 11:21:23PM -0400, Michael Lazin wrote:
> I sold my aging powermac g4, and I want to build myself a linux box
> because I want top of the line hardware without the g5 pricetag.  I am
> looking for any motherboard recommendations I can get.  I want socket
> 939 because I would like a dual core AMD 64 processor.  I am thinking
> about running fedora as the sole os.  I would like PCIX and SATA.  I
> would like as many memory slots as I can get and gigabit ethernet.
> Firewire is a must.  Any suggestions?  Any advice on building a
> machine specifically for linux?

I got an Asus K8N-E for use with an Athlon64 CPU. It has hardward SATA
RAID controllers, built-in USB 2.0 and Firewire, onboard Gigabit Ethernet
NIC, some NVIDIA video card (I don't use it). The only thing it doesn't
have that you mentioned is PCI-X. It was pretty cheap, too... on special
at newegg.com for something less than $70. In addition, the K8N4-E has all
of the above, plus one PCI-X slot. Its $104 on newegg.com as of the time
of this email. HTH.

--
Toby DiPasquale
7A79 308C 0354 EA9C 7807  ED83 03C9 9E01 148E 7D01