Tom Diehl on 19 Aug 2005 00:29:24 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Problems mounting linux samba share as read-write *from* a linux box

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005, Adam Zion wrote:

I have two Mandrake linux boxes, one named Calvin, and the other Hobbes. The share is defined on Calvin as the following:

[Documents]
   comment = Adam's Documents
   path = /home/adam/Documents
   browseable = yes
   writeable = yes
   read only = no
   valid users = adam
   directory mask = 0777

All files set in the directory /home/adam/Documents are set at 777, owned by the user and group adam. When I mount this share from Hobbes, using the following command:

mount -t smbfs //calvin/Documents /mnt/calvin -o username=adam,password=*

After I do this, I have read-only permission when logged onto Hobbes as adam, but write permission when I su in as root. When I check ownership of all the files and directories in this directory (while logged onto Hobbes), ls -la tells me that root owns all the files, hence my inability to write to them as adam.

Any idea why mount is changing the effective permissions on this share? What concept am I missing here? User adam on Hobbes needs read-write access to this directory (the idea is that this Calvin is my NAS box). User adam exists as a samba user on Calvin, with the same password as I use for the same user on Hobbes.

Why not simplify your setup and use nfs. It is much easier to manage nfs for *nix to *nix applications than it is to involve samba.

HTH,

Tom