sean finney on 19 Aug 2005 13:33:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Terminal/shell login with no password

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 08:29:17PM -0400, Eric wrote:
> I have a Red Hat box that I'm installing some software on and the users expect
> to connect with no password.  I'm okay with that since it's not on the
> network and they are all hard-wired terminals.  First I tried zeroing out the
> password in the neat little gooey (GUI) tool but it won't let me save the
> user that way.  Failing that, I tried to replace the "x" in the password file
> with nothing.  No joy - the login fails without even asking for the password.
another alternative which may or may not suit your needs is to
circumvent the login process entirely.  you can start an X session
directly from inittab/rc?.d for them, or have the virtual terminals
execute a shell instead of a login prompt.

the rungetty program can be very useful for both situations;  on
debian apt-get install rungetty and rtfm.  ymmv on redhat :)

	sean