Paul L. Snyder on 19 Aug 2005 16:45:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] disk to disk copy

Quoting Paul <gyoza@comcast.net>:

> >>Ah!  What about making the drive bootable?  What I'm looking to do is
> >>boot with something like Knoppix, run a utility to copy a WinXP
> install
> >>to another drive, then boot from the new drive.

If you have copied your XP partition contents from one drive to another,
one thing that you could try is copying the MBR and the partition boot
sector for the XP system partition using dd.  E.g., if hda is your
original and hdb is your copy:

  # for MBR
  dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=446 count=1
  # for XP system partition
  dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1 bs=512 count=1

Note that you're only copying the first 446 bytes of the MBR to avoid
bring the partition table along with it.  I suspect that if your
partitions change too drasticly, XP won't like it very much.  If that
happens, you can try editing the XP boot.ini file to reflect your new
partition layout.  If you have multiple bootable partitions, copy the boot
sector for each.

Note that this is from memory and a quick Google confirmation of the
MBR size, so no guarantees.

pls