Doug Crompton on 25 Aug 2005 18:35:59 -0000

Re: [PLUG] FYI - FIOS/DCAnet

Another good reason for me to cool it and be satisfied with what I have
for now. The quest for bigger and faster is one we all seem to be guilty
of. DSL is plenty adequate for anything I do and I suspect for most others
to. These endless crap adds with comcast pitted against DSL drive me nuts.
There really isn't much difference. Most of my bottlenecks have been well
beyond the local loop. They make it sound like everyone really needs speed
and after awhile we all believe it. I ran 24/7 dialup for years running a
nameserver, sendmail, and HTTPD and it worked. Now with DSL it is
seamless. My only concern is how long can I keep this. Will Verizon at
some point force a switch from copper or will DCANET not be able to hold
onto the DSL market. Obviously if DCANET can get a FIOS agreement I will
go that way but until then I will keep what I have.

Doug

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, James F. Fiore wrote:

> I run it from Newtown, PA and yes, they do block ports. They are not
> blocking inbound ssh traffic at port 22 (at least not yet) but they are
> blocking not only the standard ports 80, 8080 and 443 but also seem to
> be blocking inbound http-gets from whichever port they transmit from.
>
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Doug Crompton wrote:
>
> > Also there is the issue of do they
> > block any ports or dis-allow any services.

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *