Doug Crompton on 30 Aug 2005 05:59:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] "geek-net" (was: FYI - FIOS/DCAnet)

Amateur radio packet switching, which I was very involved with in the 90's
has virtually gone away except for some specialized aspects. We keep
talking about 802.11b stuff on 2.4 ghz but to my knowledge nothing much
has been done around here. There has been work in other parts of the
country. Some of the 802.11b 2.4 GHz channels are solely within amateur
bands and have primary amateur assignment. Therefore you could run full
legal power if you wanted to. I'm not sure why you would want to run 1 KW
on 2.4 GHz with a 10-20 dB gain antenna for LOS operation though. Maybe we
could try moonbounce 802.11b !!

What is Verizon doing with broadband wireless? There are sure advertising
it on MSNBC at the moment. Touting it to be not just the WIFI in the
coffee house.

Doug