Christopher M. Jones on 11 Oct 2005 20:01:51 -0000

[PLUG] burning dvds help

I recently bought a dual layer dvd burner (Lite-On SOHW-1693S). I'm
trying to copy a dvd (I own it, I'm copying because I think I should
understand how).

I've burned two disks, neither work.

Disk 1: copied disk using cpvts, created VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS, moved
everything to VIDEO_TS, used mkisofs as outlined in the HOWTO at
http://dvd.chevelless230.com/. I tested the image by mounting it and
running xine dvd:/media/mountpoint/. Everything worked fine. I then
wrote the dvd using growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso. The resulting disk
does not play in a standalone dvd player (tried two), and xine shows the
main menu but won't play any of the titles. It gives me the message,

The source can't be read. Maybe you don't have enough rights for this,
or source doesn't contain data (e.g., not disk in drive). (Expected NAV
packet but none found.)

Disk 2: created an image using dd, tested it, wrote the image using
growisofs as above. This disk can't be read in a standalone player
either, and xine gives me the following message:

The source seems encrypted, and can't be read. Your DVD is probably
crypted. According to your country laws, you can or can't install/use
livdvdcss to be able to read this disk, which you bought. (Media stream
scambled/encrypted)

Why encrypted? Would this be the firmware on my burner trying to keep me
from potentially illegal activities? Or is there something else wrong?
Does anybody have a method that works for them? Media that they find
reliable (I'm using Verbatim DVD+R DL).