Aaron Mulder on 14 Oct 2005 16:50:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] SUSE 10.0

On 10/13/05, Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com> wrote:
> I want to get a new Linux system up ans start with a newer OS. I am
> currently running SUSE 7.3 but I see that 10.0 is now shipping at Amazon.
> Anyone had any experience with this new verison? It use to be you could
> buy a "profesional" version and that is what I did with 7.3. this version
> at Amazon is $53 which I think is less then I paid for 7.3 way back when.

Yeah, I'm using SuSE 10 on my laptop as we speak.  It is the successor
to SuSE Pro 9.3 (they've dropped the "Pro", as well as severly
curtailing the bundled print manuals).

If you want to try it, you can download two versions: the "open
source" version with only open source packages, and the "Eval" version
with certain proprietary pacakges as well (Java, Acrobat, etc.).  The
Eval is supposedly the same as the retail distro, but in fact, the
retail has more packages.  The Eval is more or less limited to what's
in the selection groups they give you (e.g. it includes Java 1.4 but
not 1.5, MySQL not PostgreSQL), whereas the retail is pretty
comprehensive.

Anyway, there are a couple new fixes (SCPM works better) and a couple
new bugs (the K bluetooth alerts sometimes don't give back the screen
real estate) -- overall, it didn't blow me away as an upgrade to 9.3,
but I was extremely pleased with 9.3, so I like it a lot.  Still, the
CompUSA in Montgomeryville had 9.3 in their discount bucket for $20,
which would also be a great place to start.  :)

Aaron