Christopher M. Jones on 15 Oct 2005 19:49:18 -0000

[PLUG] 2000pro installation woe

A buddy of mine had to get a new hd for his Toshiba laptop.
1. He has no installation media
2. My media is all pirated and on CDR
3. His cdrom will not read cdrs

What he does have is this
1. Built-in lan (possible network install?)
2. An external usb iomega cdrom drive
3. Floppy

Question: how do I get windows 2000 pro, or any usable windows os on
there?

I thought of a network boot and install. I have access to running W2k
Pro machines that will read my cdrs, but it looks like RIS (remote
installation service) is a W2k server thing. Is there anything I can do
with the W2k Pro machines in this regard?

I also thought that perhaps I could use the W2k install floppies with
usb drivers to access the external drive. How would I create those
custom boot disks? What drivers do I need?

This is somewhat urgent, as his wife needs this machine to meet an
upcoming deadline. He wants it back tomorrow at the latest.