bergman on 21 Oct 2005 17:00:45 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Thunderbird and Spamassassin

In the message dated: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:11:53 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from Ron Mansolino on
<Re: [PLUG] Thunderbird and Spamassassin> were:
=> > I haven't had any success configuring a Thunderbird  filter to  use
=> > spamassassin.  Kmail uses a pipe through filter, to pipe the incoming
=> > mail through  spamc.  Thunderbird does not have a pipe-through filter,
=> > and I haven't been able to find any articles on another way to do it.
=> >
=> > I retrieve my mail using POP and don't currently use procmail.
=> >
=> > Any suggestions?
=>
=> I tried using fetchmail, but it would download mail faster than spamd could
=> deal with and I couldn't figure out how to tweak it.

BTDT. The worst I've seen is a load of about 200, with a local mailq of about
500 messages. The box stayed up, and eventually pushed everything through
spamd, but was essentially unusable for a while. Quite a while. Hours. Several
hours. Typing was like a 16baud experience. :)

=>
=> Any suggestions? <g>

Try using the following options in the .fetchmailrc to limit downloads:

	batchlimit N
	fetchlimit M

(where "N" and "M" are the number of messages to pass to the local MTA or to
download on a single poll). These options work best if you're running fetchmail
with the "daemon" option, to poll server[s] automatically at set intervals (and
if the values of "N", "M", and the daemon interval are such that all downloaded
messages can be processed by spamd before the next batch is downloaded).

Without the daemon option, you may need to invoke fetchmail multiple times to
download all messages from the remote mailspool.

Note that these limits should be set per-server, not as global fetchmail
options.

Mark

-----
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1 Stagehand

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40merctech.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman