Andrew Libby on 25 Oct 2005 16:13:22 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Problems with "special" directories

This is a long shot, but have you checked the file attributes?
One time /sbin/init wound up having some strange attributes on
a system I helped manage.  Previously I had never heard of attributes
on files (this is distinct from the standard information we commonly
think of owner, permissions, times, etc).  I don't recall what the
attributes were on /sbin/init, but they kept the system from booting.
We never determined what caused the situation, unfortuniately.

It's a long shot, but try lsattr and see if there are any attributes set
on these files/ directories.  If there are odd attributes, check the
man page for chattr to see what effect they have on fs/io behavior.

HTH,

Andy

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 12:01 -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> Michael C. Toren wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 09:20:35AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> >

> >>Seems I am having trouble displaying the contents of some of the
> >>"special" directories.  The problem is a huge delay, not a permissions
> >>issue.  The affected directories are:
> >>
> >>   * ~/Documents
> >>   * ~/Desktop, and
> >>   * ~/.trash
> >>

> >..
> >

> >>I am using Kubuntu 5.04 (hoary).
> >>

> >Can you tell us how you are viewing the directory?  Are you using
> >konqueror, or are you simply using ls?
> >

> Problem is with Konqueror, ls, and file dialogs (open, save, etc.).

Andrew Libby
http://www.philadelphiariders.com/
http://www.andylibby.org/
1999 SV650
1999 Laverda 750S
1996 BMW R1100RS
1981 Moto Guzzi CX100 (in Lemans I clothing)