Art Alexion on 25 Oct 2005 16:37:53 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Problems with "special" directories

Eric wrote:

Quoting Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net>:

Michael C. Toren wrote:

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 09:20:35AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:

Seems I am having trouble displaying the contents of some of the "special" directories. The problem is a huge delay, not a permissions issue. The affected directories are:

* ~/Documents
* ~/Desktop, and
* ~/.trash

..

I am using Kubuntu 5.04 (hoary).

Can you tell us how you are viewing the directory?  Are you using
konqueror, or are you simply using ls?

Problem is with Konqueror, ls, and file dialogs (open, save, etc.).

Are you seeing any messages in /var/log/messages that might offer
a hint?

I'd try the following:

1. log out of KDE and open a virtual console. Log in as root
and telinit 3 to run without X. See if your directory access speeds up.

If it dos not improve then:

2. I'd next suspect the disk may be at fault. Download and run SpinRight from www.grc.com. Just running that at level 2 may
solve the problem right then.

Thanks for the number of good suggestions. Unfortunately, I am not sure I can try them now as the problem has [probably temporarily] disappeared.

In addition to the mentioned problems, I was having problems mounting some samba shares and with maintaining a good internet connection on the windows side (the linux box is the IP masq gateway). When this happened before it was an ethernet card problem solved by powering the windows machine down and restarting it (warm reboot inadequate). I did the same with the Linux box for good measure. That solved the directory browsing delay problem [for now].

Like I said, this happened before about 8 months ago, lasted for a month and then fixed itself mysteriously. Does this info affect any suggestions?

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c