Stephen Gran on 25 Oct 2005 19:23:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Problems with "special" directories

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 09:20:35AM -0400, Art Alexion said:
> Seems I am having trouble displaying the contents of some of the
> "special" directories.  The problem is a huge delay, not a permissions
> issue.  The affected directories are:
>
>    * ~/Documents
>    * ~/Desktop, and
>    * ~/.trash
>
> Other subdirectories of ~ do not seem to be affected.  Nor do
> subdirectories of the affected directories, e.g. ~/Documents/how-tos.
>
> This happened to me once before, lasted about a month and then cured
> itself.  Never figured out the cause.
>
> I am using Kubuntu 5.04 (hoary).
>
> Any ideas? Suggestions?

If it's a random delay of approximately 30 seconds, I am guessing name
resolution problems.  X and KDE both use hostname information, and if
it's limited to 'special' directories for KDE, that's my first thought.

Check that your /etc/hosts looks correct, try getent hosts $hostname,
etc. If all of those work out, check your filesystem and you disks.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | It's the thought, if any, that counts!  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |