Pat Regan on 31 Oct 2005 16:42:12 -0000

Re: [PLUG] RAID Backup Server

bergman@merctech.com wrote:
> Here are some questions I suggest that you consider before going any further:

I agree with everything you said here.  I didn't want to sound like a
Backup Nazi like I usually do, though :).

> At a minimum, to achieve any redundancy, you need a RAID-5 configuration. The
> number "5" has nothing to do with the number of disks, but (coindicently),
> you'd need 5x250GB disks.

If he wants to keep the 4 drives, he can use 300-350 GB drives :).

>>From my point of view, backup-to-disk only barely qualifies as a "backup
> solution". It offers virtually no archive capability, it's very difficult to
> send the data off-site, and has a high risk of failure, compared to
> technologies like tape. Of course, it's cheap & easy.

Backups to disk are good protection from accidental file deletion, and
they make a good staging area for writing real backups to be sent off
site.  As far as protection from hardware failure, they aren't much more
than a "delayed RAID."

Pat