Edmund Goppelt on 1 Nov 2005 13:05:07 -0000

Re: [PLUG] RAID Backup Server

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 11:52:56PM -0500, William H. Magill wrote:
> Backup of individual files is solely for their recovery in case of
> deletion.
>
> Backup of a "System" requires that you be capable of restoring the
> SYSTEM to working order as of when the last backup was taken. A
> System is composed of many files.

I'm not sure I understand your point here.  Are you saying that it's
impossible to do a bare metal restore using individual files?  If you
are, that's not been my experience (see below).

And if you're not dealing with files, what units of storage are you
dealing with?  Partitions?

As I recall you used to work for Penn which has lots of
resources--both money and people.  I'm in a different situation: it's
just me and I have to watch every penny.

I realize you may not be used to working under such constraints, but
I'd love to hear your thoughts.  How do you think I should go about
backing up my 8 or so systems?

> The primary issue is -- how long is it going to take you to return
> things to the way they were "before" you lost the system?  A 1-TB
> data store takes A LONG TIME to restore!

This has not been my experience.  It took me about 4 hours to do a
bare metal restore of my main web/database server recently.

The 1 TB refers to the storage capacity avaialable for backups.  Most
of my systems use less than 80GB.

> "What happens when the architect gets hit by a bus?"

At this point, backups become somebody else's problem.

--

Ed Goppelt
http://www.hallwatch.org