Gregson Helledy on 5 Nov 2005 02:37:54 -0000

[PLUG] e-smith/SME Server/Mitel and squid

I have been using Mandrake SNF as an internet
gateway/fileserver/printserver but the hardware died and so on the
replacement machine I installed the SME Server 6.0, as found at
http://contribs.org  (I actually tried their 6.0.1 release but it bombed
out on install when it couldn't find a file on the CD)

I like it quite a bit but in the configuration I'm using it (as a
dial-on-demand internet connection) their config console does not provide
any way to turn off squid.  Between limited memory and a slow hard drive,
having squid enabled is slowing internet access down and I have no need
for caching.

Being clever I went into the init directory and deleted the link that
starts up squid.  However, without squid running I have real problems
accessing websites...connection refused, site not found, etc.

Ideally I'd like to not have squid running at all, but a second choice
would be to have it running but not caching anything.  On Mandrake SNF
(what I had on previous hardware) it was easy to stop using squid through
the GUI.  SME's manual has a whole page on why you may or may not want to
use squid, but does not tell you how to turn it off.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg Helledy

--
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (postmaster@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise