Art Alexion on 8 Dec 2005 13:57:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Career opportunities

I'd be careful with this. The reason "self-employment" social security
taxes are higher that those paid by employees is that the employer pays
the difference for the employee.

S-corps (and LLCs) are taxed as individuals, not corporations.  This has
the benefit of avoiding double taxation (The corp pays the tax on its
income, and then the employees pay the tax again on their pay.  True
C-corporations are "persons" under law.)  S-corps and their owners do
not pay taxes separately.  (S-corps with multiple owners and non-owner
employees are taxed as partnerships.  An information return is filed,
but the taxes are passed through to the owners.)

C-corps, which do pay their own taxes must pay a share of their
employees' social security taxes, with the balance being withheld from
the employees' pay checks.

Disclaimer:  I am not an accountant nor a *tax* lawyer, but raise these
issues (not advice, mind you) from personal experience.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c