jazzman on 9 Dec 2005 21:59:29 -0000

[PLUG] Streaming Video Recorder (mildly off topic)

Hi all,

I asked something similar to this a few months back, but this is
unrelated. I'm looking for a program that will take a video stream (in
this case .asx/.asf) and save the resulting video to my hard disk (Asf
format is fine).

Now before anyone starts getting into legal issues and such, the video I'm
referring to are highlights from a hockey game offered on a team website
that I wish to save for my own use. I am not going to redistribute them or
make money from them in any way/shape/form. I simply want to have a copy
of the highlights for my own records since I was at that game and it was a
memorable one for me. I'm not sure how long the site keeps them available
and I want to be able to view them without having to go to the site.

I've tried a number of tools that claim to do this, but the best 2 i found
so far are MPlayer and ASFrecord(a win32 app). ASFrecord connects, gets a
200 OK response, and dies there... MPlayer doesn't seem to work at all! I
gave it the following command line:

mplayer -dumpstream URL_HERE

and i get a few lines of startup information followed by:

	core dumped

I'm running FC3 and the RPMs that came with it, so my mplayer version
isn't that out of date. Is there something I'm doing wrong or is there
another app I can/should use? I tried poking into the .asx file and
pulling out the URLs within, but that didn't help, so I'm not sure what's
going on there. If I can PLAY the stream, there has to be a way to RECORD
it, and I can play the stream on several boxes...

Any ideas?

Thanks again in advance
Marc