Tom Diehl on 25 Dec 2005 00:23:29 -0000

[PLUG] Re: route necessary?

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Doug Crompton wrote:

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Lee Marzke wrote:

169.254.x.x is what Microsoft clients use when they can't find a DHCP server
for automagic configuration.

Lee Marzke

OK... so why is Linux adding it as a perm route? Even though it is probably harmless for it to be in there being a purist I would rather it not be.

It is part of making network setup painless for those who do not even know what an ipaddress is. In Red Hat/fedora if you add NOZEROCONF=1 [1] to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* you will no longer get the routes. I do not know the official way to shut them off in SUSE though.

[1] Actually any value other than zero will turn this off.

Regards,

Tom