Dan Widyono on 12 Jan 2006 04:23:29 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Iozone and a Linux Cluster

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 04:19:12PM -0500, Daniel.G.Roberts@sanofi-aventis.com wrote:
> Can anyone pass along some knowledge of how they ran iozone on a linux cluster?

Have you already searched the linux-on-poweredge and beowulf mailing lists
for "iozone"?  I know there are old messages related to using iozone for NFS
testing.  The following won't be useful at all unless you read the man pages
(first step).  They are two commands I used once to test HW RAID array
functionality.

/root/benchmarks/bin/iozone -c -t 1 -i 0 -s 4g -r64k -e -w -f /mnt/nfs/.iozone +c
        66129KB/sec write, 74244KB/sec rewrite

/root/benchmarks/bin/iozone -c -t 1 -i 1 -s 4g -r64k -e -w -f /mnt/nfs/.iozone +c
        117464KB/sec read

That was local, mind you.

> I am trying to pin down a NAS storage on my cluster and I am wondering on how to leverage Iozone to identify problems..

Run iozone on the NAS itself first if you're trying to identify a problem.
Then run iozone on one client.  Then you'll need to synchronize iozone runs
on more than one client and make sure this is on a private network.

Regards,
Dan W.