Pat Regan on 18 Jan 2006 08:11:07 -0000

Re: [PLUG] SW raid/lvm suse

Doug Crompton wrote:
> Ok Let me summarize my understanding of this.....
>
> Keep in mind I am doing this with suse10 yast and not manually.

I haven't used Suse since the 90s sometime, so I don't know what Yast
looks like anymore :).

> 1. Create extended Partitions on two equal size drives.
>
> 2. Create three logical partitions on each drive for
>    boot, swap, lvm with type FD.
>
> 3. Create md0, md1, md2 raid 1 devices (/boot, swap, lvm)
>
> 4. Put filesystem on md0  (will be /boot, small partition ext2)
>
> 5. create LVM system and volumes on md2
>
> 6. Put filesystems on logical volumes (resiser)

Everything sounds reasonable to me.

> For step 2 where does md2 become swap type ID?
> md2 which becomes LVM system is not formated in step 3 ?

If you want to put your swap partition under LVM it will not need its
own md device (can anyone confirm that that works properly?  I would
assume it should work just fine).

If you want to mirror your swap (to maximize uptime) but not have it on
an LV (if someone says it doesn't work :p) just make an md device for it
and mkswap the md device.

If you don't mind a system crash when a disk fails you can mkswap the
individual partitions on each disk.  The VM system will use them very
much like RAID 0.

> I am trying to do this in the least complicated way. Unfortunately I have
> generally followed the SUSE suggestion of having /boot, /, /home, /usr,
> /var, /opt plus swap partitions which seems to make it complicated when
> going to sw raid.

I think the old school way of separating these filesystems on a desktop
machine is a little outdated.  You might save yourself some
fragmentation on your /usr partition but what happens when you guess
wrong and it fills up (I've guessed wrongly in the past :p)?  I know you
can fix this with LVM but I don't think you are buying yourself much
advantage.

Pat