Stephen Gran on 29 Jan 2006 16:58:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] apt/dpkg question

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 11:47:32AM -0500, Art Alexion said:
> I have been given some advice that I am not sure is reasonably safe, so
> I am soliciting opinions from this list.  Here is the problem as I
> expressed it on another list.
>
> I wanted to do some accounts payable stuff, but can't find a way to
> generate and print schedule reports [in kmymoney].  Wanted to see if gnucash supports
> this, but when I try to re-install gnucash, I get the following apt errors:
>

>     dpkg: error processing
>     /var/cache/apt/archives/libofx2_1%3a0.8.0-3ubuntu8_i386.deb
>     (--unpack): trying to overwrite `/usr/share/libofx/dtd/opensp.dcl',
>     which is also in package libofx0c102
>
> It seems that, in spite of this error, both kmymoney2 and gnucash run,
> but the "broken" package prevents further Debian apt system updates.
>

> The advice I got was
>
> This should fix it:
>
> "dpkg -i
> --force-all /var/cache/apt/archives/libofx2_1%3a0.8.0-3ubuntu8_i386.deb"
>

> Will this fix my problem or make it worse?

force-all is almost always a bad idea, as it will force all sorts of
things you really didn't need.  --force-overwrite is the only thing that
you actually might want in this circumstance, so it is the one I would go
with.  then I would file a bug against ubuntu, asking them to please
make libofx2 replace/conflict/provide libofx0c102 to prevent this from
happening to other people.

Take care,
|  Stephen Gran                  |   She used to diet on any kind of food  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | she could lay her hands on.   -Arthur   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | Baer, American comic and columnist      |