Ron Mansolino on 29 Jan 2006 21:26:15 -0000

Re: [PLUG] connecting a router's wan port to a firewall?

> I'm trying to set up a firewall between my cable modem and wireless
> router. I have no problem connecting the firewall to the router's lan
> ports, but I can't make things work on the router's wan port.

What's the pinout? Is it wired like a etherent host port, or like a hub/switch
port? If it would ordinarily plug into a cable/dsl modem (hub) it's probably
wired like a host, and since the eth card in your is also a host port, maybe
you need a crossover ethernet cable?

> The firewall is a Linux machine configured with ip forwarding. That
> works fine. There are two nics on the firewall: eth0 is connected to the
> cable modem, configured dhcp. eth1, 192.168.1.1, is connected to the wan
> port of a linksys wireless router. dhcp is running on eth1. It assigns
> the router a wan ip 192.168.1.100-200, gateway 192.168.1.1, netmask
> 255.255.255.0, dns Comcast's numbers. The router's lan address is
> 192.168.1.2, which it assigns to its clients as a gateway.
>
> Like I said, if I use the lan ports only, the setup works fine-- I guess
> because that's just a switch and there is no routing involved. I could
> be satisfied with this, but it seems like the 'right' way to do it would
> be to make use of that wan port to the firewall.

well... all you need after the firewall is a "wireless switch", do you really
need the wireless router to actually route anything?