Jon Nelson on 1 Feb 2006 14:06:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Kernel upgrade woes

Greg Lopp said:
> Attempting to keep a long story short:
>
> I reconfigured a few kernel settings, rebuilt and rebooted.  Upon reboot
> into the new kernel, the mount command fails.  When root calls it from
> the command line, it seg faults.  It appears to have failed during the
> startup process, as there is no /proc fs and neither NIC is up (is that
> a side effect of procfs, devfs or something else?)  So, basically it is
> a useless system.  So why does mount work OK when I boot via grub into
> "recovery mode"?  How do I get my test box back?

I am pretty sure this has to do with udev as I had similar problems when
trying to upgrade from 2.4.27-2-k6 to 2.6.12.  Here is the type of error
messages I got:

    .../ide-core.o: insmod ide-detect failed
    .../ide-core.o: insmod ide-disk failed
    Journalled Block Device driver loaded
    pivot_root: No such file or directory
    /sbin/init: ... cannot open dev/console: No such file
    Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

To fix this problem I used a knoppix CD. In this instance I booted to just
a console by entering knoppix 2 at the boot: prompt. Once there I did the
following:

    # mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 -o rw
    # chroot /mnt/hda1
    # mount /proc

You need to mount your root partition as show above because knoppix mounts
drives nodev by default. If you don't you'll get /dev/null: Permission
Denied errors that will prevent you from installing/removing packages. For
more info see http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Dev_null_permission_denied.

Then I uninstalled udev and the 2.6.12 kernel and reinstalled hotplug. The
2.4.27-2-k6 kernel then booted with no problems.

Jon