Marc Zucchelli on 1 Feb 2006 17:44:20 -0000

[PLUG] is this a sensible CPU time for apache?

I have a customer on a dedicated server with 3 very
active websites.  Apparently the server seems to be
hanging from time to time, and he usually just calls
aplus.net to have them reboot it.  Last time he did
was Sunday.  I'm trying to figure out possible causes.
 Last night I logged onto the server and to start
things off, I just ran "top"  The load avg was 0.13,
he had about 21mb's of ram free and almost all of his
swap was free.  I know his server gets much busier on
the weekends when he runs his sales, so I dont know.

I left top running all night, and I took a look at it
again just now, it said the CPU time for httpd
(running as root) was 5:47.  For a second I thought of
the possibility of a php script hanging because 5:47
seems like a long time.  But I remembered that its
running as the root user which spawn other processes
and doesnt serve web pages, so 5:47 might be normal
for about 3 days.

I just wanted to run this by you guys to see if my
reasoning was correct and to see if I can get any
suggestions.  Its been a while since I've done
anything system admin related.

Thanks!

Marc