Marc Zucchelli on 9 Feb 2006 23:17:56 -0000

[PLUG] Is there a limit to the amount of files in a directory before it starts causing trouble?

I just finished a craigslist type website for one of
my clients, its for college students to list their
stuff, books, etc.

When someone uploads a picture, the pictures ALL get
saved in the same directory.  It just occured to me,
what if theres 10's of millions of images sitting in
one directory, or even 10's of thousands.

Can ext2  or ext3 handle something like that?

Will this cause memory problems?

The directory will never be read, like ls does.  File
paths are stored in the db, so pictures will be
accessed and deleted directly.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Marc