Greg Lopp on 17 Feb 2006 04:52:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] eth0 input overload

Dan Roberts wrote:

Hello All

On my Linux Box via the Bigsister monitor that I have installed I am
seeing this now and then..
eth0 input overload

I am not quite sure where to begin to troubleshoot this problem..
Yeah..I know I am passing TONS of information over this interface, I
don't see dropped collisions and etc via ifconfig..
any thoughts on where to attack the problem next would me ost helpful!

First thoughts from a guy who writes ethernet drivers: Sounds like either a) a complaint from the HW that you received a packet > MTU or b) insufficient receive buffers allocated for the interface.

The first is unlikely and should be controllable/configurable from ifconfig
The second is more likely with your "TONS of information". You might be able to allocate additional RX buffer via lilo or insmod, depending upon your driver (I find comments to this effect in drivers/net/eepro.c, but not elsewhere) Otherwise, you may need to complain to the driver's maintainer or hack it yourself. What kernel and what kind of ethernet device is it anyway?

Rolling your own kernel, while easier than it used to be, is still a rite of passage. Be brave.

....hmmm. Did you say "overload"? "Overrun" appears to be the prefered term......Although you are probably fine, as the over[load|run] results in dropped packets which are ultimately retransmitted when they aren't ACKed.